RSS
It's only when we truly know and understand that we have a limited time on earth -- and that we have no way of knowing when our time is up -- that we will begin to live each day to the fullest, as if it was the only one we had. -Elisabeth Kubler-Ross

Racist me?

I was asked by my family Dr if I had a preference in choosing my obstetrician (a physician that specializes in caring for pregnant women through childbirth) and what I really wanted to say was, "yes, I want a white Dr -a term non Caucasians refer to people of light skin, maybe blond/brown hair, and no accent when speaking English. That may sound very racist coming from an Asian woman but it's not the color of the skin that I have issues with it's the accent. I can't for the life of me understand people with heavy accents except for Chinese people since majority of the people in my workplace are Chinese or Vietnamese so I have that accent mastered. If you put Russian, East Indian, German, Austrian, Australian accents in the mix I'm left with my bewildered self. I'm completely lost every time I talk to them which leads to misinformation and misinterpretation and I don't want to put myself into that situation during my entire pregnancy. How can I say to my Dr, "I don't want an East Indian" well maybe I can but I don't want to get kicked out of his office since he's East Indian. What I ended up saying though was, "It doesn't matter I just want a woman." Sometimes, I thank God for giving me a filter not to blurt out everything that comes to mind. As much as I pride myself in being overtly honest and straight forward I do filter what I say sometimes because I realized there's a difference between honesty and rudeness and some people just don't know the difference between the two. 

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment